What To Wear Tips for Fall Outdoor Portrait Sessions
The wind is chilly and the days are getting shorter! Time for 2017 outdoor Fall portrait sessions. Bring on the leaves and boots. I always get asked “what should we wear?”. I know it seems daunting to coordinate outfits for your entire family. However, you don’t need to stress. Take a look at some of our Fall wardrobe tips and ideas below. You can use these to think about how to style your own family.
Top Tips for What to Wear for Outdoor Fall Sessions:
- Start with one outfit that you really like. Maybe Mom has a killer pair of boots and dress she wants to wear. Go with it! From there, build around it so colors coordinate but don’t match exactly.
- Add a pop of color. Some of our favorite accent colors for the Fall are navy blue, eggplant purple, olive, red and yellow. Pair the color with neutrals to tie it all together.
- Stay away from wearing a lot of green when having photos taken in grassy or wooded areas. Avoid fluorescent colors or logos on clothing that will age a portrait.
- Layer! Layers add dimension and depth. Don’t be afraid of texture or mixing patterns. If it’s chilly, bring a sweater. Or maybe layer on a necklace overtop a dress.
- Be careful wearing white. If you have fair skin or blonde hair, white tends to wash out skin tones. White is fine as an accent color.
- Dress your kids in clothes that fit perfectly, not with room to grow.
- Add accessories. A hat, vest, or suspenders for boys are adorable. If your girl likes to dress up, find a headband, bow or hat that she might not normally wear so a few pictures are extra special. Mom can have fun with accessories too!
- Don’t forget about nice shoes for everyone.
Remember, have fun with it! You want your family’s personality to shine through.
Pinterest is a great resource for finding clothing ideas. Visit our “What to Wear” board for more inspiration. If you have any questions, want to send pictures for advise, or need some extra help planning your outfits for your fall portrait sessions – please contact the studio!